Geometric Laser Alignment
Qualtex was approached by the client to suggest methods to check the on-going accuracy problems that had been encountered with the slitting machine used in the production of tin cans.
Working with our clients technicians a decision was made to carry out a series of Geometric alignment tests to verify the possibility of machine movement in the foundations.
- Precision laser alignment equipment was set up to check the initial set up of the machinery.
- Adjustments were made to ensure the roll and cutter was within the recommended tolerances.
- Subsequent alignment checks proved that the machine foundation integrity was in question.
- The machine was lifted to allow the original foundation hold down sleeves to be removed.
- New threaded sleeves were manufactured by Qualtex machinists and chemically anchored into the parent foundation material.
- The machinery was then lowered into place and re aligned precisely.
These repairs were carried out during planned plant outages to minimise losses in production and as a consequence of the precision alignment process, machine accuracy has been improved reducing waste and improving the final product quality.