On-going issues with overheating
The client approached Qualtex after experiencing on-going issues with overheating of the gearbox driving the suction fan in the excavation unit.
There was a question mark on the design of the suction fan drive line and the reliability problems were potentially jeopardising profitability through interruptions in operating time.
- The suction fan assembly and fan drive transmission was removed from the truck.
- The components were cleaned and inspected thoroughly.
- Qualtex engineers reviewed the original design and assembly of the fan drive line, re-engineered the lubrication supply and cooling system and carried out the extensive modifications required.
- The introduction of oil temperature monitoring systems and fail safe technology were incorporated into the new design.
- Some of the housings and shafts also required modification to reduce stresses in the gearbox.
- The unit was reassembled, extensive testing, lubricant temperature monitoring and final adjustments made to ensure reliability before delivery back to the client.
On-going monitoring of the unit is still taking place but to date there have been minimal interruptions and production has been significantly improved.